The city of Pullman was originally named Three Forks, after the Missouri Flat Creek, Dry Fork, and South Fork rivers that converge at the location. The first post office (named Three Forks) and the first general store were opened on the site in 1881, and Three Forks was officially incorporated in 1886. Shortly thereafter, the town was renamed for George Pullman of the Pullman Car Company.
In 1890, the Washington State Legislature established the state’s land grant college, but did not select an official location. Leadership in the Pullman community offered up 160 acres for the college and Pullman was chosen as the site in 1891. Washington Agricultural College and School of Science opened on January 13, 1892 with 59 students. The school later became present-day Washington State University in 1959.
Pullman maintains a variety of attractions including: