Neosho, Missouri Facts:
Coverage Area (Total): 14.93 sq. miles
Elevation: 1,037 ft.
Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Missouri – Anderson, Diamond, Fairview, Goodman, Granby, Jane, Lanagan, Neosho, Newtonia, Noel, Pineville, Powell, Racine, Rocky Comfort, Seneca, Southwest City, Stark City, Stella, Tiff City, Wheaton; Arkansas – Southwest City; Oklahoma – Southwest City, West Seneca, West Tiff City
Neosho was founded by settlers in 1833, and was incorporated as a municipal government in 1878. The name "Neosho" is a Native American word meaning "clear, cold water" (referring to freshwater springs in the area). The town is nicknamed "City of Springs," and is referred to as the "Gateway to the Ozarks" by local residents.
During the Civil War, the area of Neosho was occupied by both opposing forces at different times. After the war, several railroads reached the Neosho area and the population began to grow; the Atlantic and Pacific (A&P) arrived in 1870 and the Kansas City-Fort Smith and Southern arrived in 1887. The KCFS&S served the Neosho National Fish Hatchery, which opened in 1888 and is the oldest federal fish hatchery in operation today.
Neosho maintains a variety of attractions including: