Coverage Area (Total): 0.82 sq. miles
Elevation: 1,033 ft.
LaHarpe was established as a result of the Fort Scott, Wichita & Western Railroad laying tracks in the area. The town was platted, and a post office established, in 1881, and the discovery of natural gas in 1899 caused a population increase. By 1910, LaHarpe had some of the largest zinc smelters in the world, along with two banks, an opera house, a newspaper, and several other establishments.
LaHarpe maintains a variety of attractions including: