Featured Categories in Names and Numbers
Denver City was incorporated in 1939, but the area had been known for its oil and ranching aspects several years prior. In 1935, the first well was drilled by Fort Worth native "Red" Davidson on Denver City land and oil was struck on October 10th of the same year. It was known as the last west Texas boom town to have been established solely on the basis of oil, a resource still vital to the area economy today.
Cecil and Peggy Bickley were a prominent couple in the Denver City area since the town's inception in the 1930s until their passing in the mid-2000s. The Bickleys operated Bickley's Grocery from 1939 to 1974, and Cecil was viewed by many as "Mr. Denver City," a living legend in his small town. He was integral as a founding director of Yoakum County State Bank (now Wells Fargo), and was a charter member of the Denver City Lions Club and the Chamber of Commerce. The Denver City library was named after Cecil, and Peggy was named "Outstanding Citizen of Denver City" in 1984 by the Chamber of Commerce for her work as a civic booster. They are interred at the Denver City Memorial Cemetery.
Denver City maintains a variety of attractions including: