Coverage Area (Total): 2.42 sq. miles
Elevation: 912 ft.
Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Baxter Springs, Cherokee, Columbus, Crestline, Galena, Hallowell, Lawton, Riverton, Scammon, Treece, Weir, West Mineral
Columbus serves as a railroad junction for the St. Louis & San Francisco and Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroads. The town was named in 1869 by A.V. Peters, one of its founders, and incorporated in 1871. Coal, lead, and zinc were mined in the area during the early years, with prosperous businesses including machine shops, flour mills, grain elevators, and more.
In 1875, Robert A. Long and Victor Bell established the Long-Bell Lumber Company in Columbus. A successful expansion plan allowed it to become one of the largest vertically integrated lumber companies in the nation. It was purchased by International Paper in 1956.
Columbus maintains a variety of attractions including: