Coverage Area (Total): 9.6 sq. miles
Elevation: 1,004 ft.
Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Alba, Asbury, Avilla, Carthage, Diamond, Jasper, La Russell, Neck City, Purcell, Reeds, Sarcoxie, Waco, Wentworth
Carthage was platted in 1842 and chosen as the county seat of Jasper County in the same year. During the American Civil War, two significant battles took place in the town – the Battle of Carthage (1861) and the Second Battle of Carthage (1863). These battles witnessed Union troops fighting back Confederate forces on both occasions. In 1864, pro-Confederate guerillas burned most of the city, including the local courthouse.
Following the war, the arrival of the Missouri Western Railroad in 1872 was a contributing factor in Carthage's rapid growth. Multiple businesses were started during this time, including Leggett & Platt (1883), a leading manufacturing firm (now a Fortune 500 company) still based in Carthage. Several places built during this era, including the Carthage South District and the Jasper County Courthouse, have been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Carthage maintains a variety of attractions including: