Sonora, Texas Facts:
- County: Sutton
- Coverage Area (Total): 2 sq. miles
- Elevation: 2,129 ft.
- Population: 3,024
- Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Barnhart, Big Lake, Eldorado, Ozona, Sonora
Sonora was first inhabited by a rancher named Charles Adams when he settled on four sections of land in 1885. He named the site Sonora in 1887 and drilled the first well in 1889, the year the post office was established. In 1890, Adams offered free lots in his town to encourage settled and Sonora was selected as the count seat in the same year.
By 1892, Sonora had 700 residents and a host of new businesses. The weekly Devil's River News, Sutton County's oldest continuously operating business as of 1990, was also in operation by this time. After a near 25-year delay, the first train crossed into Sonora in 1930. And, as a result of dropping wool prices due to the Great Depression, the Sonora Wool and Mohair Company was formed to help stabilize prices. The cooperative sold over 2.7 million pounds of wool in its first year and continued to handle most of the region's wool production into the early 1990s.
Sonora maintains a variety of attractions including: