Ken Brock (center) accepts one of ten Gold Book awards including Publisher of the Read more →
Midland Names and Numbers Office:
Midland, TX 79707
Midland, Texas Facts:
- County: Midland/Martin
- Coverage Area (Total): 71.5 sq. miles
- Elevation: 2,782 ft.
- Population: 113,931
- Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Big Spring, Coahoma, Garden City, Lenorah, Lomax, Luther, Midkiff, Midland, Odessa, Rankin, Sand Springs, St Lawrence, Stanton, Terminal, Vincent, W Stanton
Midland (originally called "Midway") was founded in 1881 as the mid-point between Fort Worth and El Paso on the Texas and Pacific Railroad. The city became the county seat of Midland County in 1885 and was considered one of the most important cattle shipping centers in Texas by 1890. Midland was incorporated in 1906 and had established its first fire department and new water works system by 1910.
The discovery of oil in the Permian Basin in 1923 represented a significant landmark in Midland's history; the boom that shortly followed transformed Midland into the administrative center of the West Texas oil fields. After World War II, a second boom period began with the discovery of the Spraberry Trend in 1943. This oil field currently ranks as the third-largest in the United States by total reserves, and the Permian Basin produces one-fifth of today's total petroleum and natural gas output in the nation.
Midland maintains a variety of attractions including: