Killeen Names and Numbers Office:
Killeen, TX 76543
Killeen, Texas Facts:
- County: Bell
- Coverage Area (Total): 105.64 sq. miles
- Elevation: 1,000 ft.
- Population: 141,752
- Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Copperas Cove, Fort Hood, Harker Heights, Kempner, Killeen, Lampasas, Nolanville
Killeen was established in 1882 and named after Frank P. Killeen, the assistant general manager of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. Over the next two decades, the town's population expanded and Killeen quickly became an important shipping point for cotton, wool, and grain to the surrounding area. In 1905, prominent town's people convinced Texas legislature to build bridges over various local streams to increase the size of Killeen's trade area. By 1914, the town's population had reached 1,300 residents.
The establishment of Camp Hood in 1942 (officially re-commissioned as today's Fort Hood in 1950) turned Killeen into a military boomtown. The military training post saw construction workers, contractors, soldiers, and their families move into the area by the thousands. The opening of Camp Hood also caused the loss of more than 300 farms and ranches due to the camp covering almost half of Killeen's farming area. The losses led to the demise of many of Killeen's farming-related businesses, but new businesses were started to provide services for the camp. When Camp Hood was virtually abandoned after World War II, Fort Hood was established as a permanent army post. This caused Killeen's population to increase from 1,300 in 1949 to approximately 7,000 in 1950.
Killeen maintains a variety of attractions including: