Asotin, Washington Facts:
- County: Asotin
- Coverage Area (Total): 1.2 sq. miles
- Elevation: 801 ft.
- Population: 1,251
- Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Washington – Anatone, Asotin, Clarkston, Colton, Pomeroy, Uniontown; Idaho – Ahsahka, Cottonwood, Craigmont, Culdesac, Ferdinand, Genesee, Grangeville, Greencreek, Harpster, Juliaetta, Kamiah, Kendrick, Keuterville, Kooskia, Lapwai, Lenore, Leon, Lewiston, Nezperce, Orofino, Peck, Pierce, Reubens, Stites, Weippe, Winchester; Oregon – Flora, Troy
Asotin was derived from a Nez Perce Native American language term meaning "eel creek." It was established in 1878 by Alexander Sumpster and platted in 1881. In those early years, there were two Asotins in the region – Assotin City, located on the southern portion of present-day Asotin, and the town of Asotin, just to the north. By 1883, Asotin had outgrown its southern counterpart, and in 1886, the two merged as the single community of Asotin.
During the 1890s, wheat and barley served as agricultural products of the area. Cattle farming followed soon after, along with the planting and harvesting of plum, peach, and apple orchards. The construction of an 18-mile-long irrigation canal in 1896 all but assured Asotin County's continued growth over the next several years. The canal spanned from Asotin Creek to Jawbone Flat (west of present-day Clarkston).
Asotin maintains a variety of attractions including: