Temple, Texas Facts:
- County: Bell
- Coverage Area (Total): 65.3 sq. miles
- Elevation: 719 ft.
- Population: 66,102
- Cities/Towns covered in local Names and Numbers Phone Book: Bartlett, Belton, Heidenheimer, Holland, Little River-Academy, Moffat, Moody, Oenaville, Rogers, Salado, Temple, Troy, Zabcikville
Temple was founded in 1881 by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad and incorporated in 1882. It was originally named Temple Junction after a railroad official named Bernard Moore Temple. Local residents nicknamed the town "Tanglefoot" due to the combination of muddy streets and liquor consumption making it difficult to walk through. After the town's incorporation, The Temple Academy private school was organized and public school was established in 1884.
Temple became known as one of the leading medical communities in the Southwest with the establishment of the Santa Fe Hospital (1891), King's Daughters Hospital (1897), and Scott and White Hospital in 1904. By 1900, there were more than 7,000 residents, which more than doubled to over 15,000 by 1930. In 1942, Temple added another dimension to its medical status with the opening of the Veterans Administration. By the 1970s, due in part to its extensive agricultural production, Temple was named the site for the state offices of the U.S. Soil Conversation Service.
Temple maintains a variety of attractions including:Back to Top